Test Engineer - Solid Oxide Fuel Cells
An opportunity has arisen within the team for a talented engineer with a creative approach to problem-solving in a dynamic environment. This role focuses on taking PCI’s patented reforming technology and working with the engineering team to integrate this technology into a Solid Oxide Fuel Cell (SOFC) power generation system, in the range of sub-kilowatts to tens of kW. PCI is looking for self-motivated, disciplined candidates with strong writing and verbal communication skills. This is an excellent opportunity to work with a team of highly talented engineers on groundbreaking technology with great benefits.
The successful candidate will advance the development of integrated SOFC power generators with specific focus on stack and system integration and testing. You will be working with the team on the design, integration, evaluation, and optimization of fuel cell power generation systems. Primary responsibilities will include the mechanical design and integration of PCI’s fuel processor with SOFC stacks, balance-of-plant components, and control systems. You will also work with other engineers to help coordinate the overall integration of the SOFC power generator system, and optimize the system components packaging, to minimize product size and weight as well as enhance product performance.
In addition to the SOFC system evaluation and optimization, the engineer will also be actively involved in other chemical and/or electrical system, sub-system, and component testing. We are consequently seeking a highly-qualified engineer with 3–5 years of hands-on laboratory experience in SOFC stack testing as well as chemical reactor, balance-of-plant, and/or electrical components testing.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- BS or MS degree in Chemical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or related fields with 3–5 yrs. of relevant industry experience
- GPA of 3.5 or greater is required
- Hands-on lab experience in electrochemical/chemical systems and testing of SOFC stacks
- Experience with high-temperature systems and combustible gases
- Experience with other chemical reactors (particularly flow reactors)
- Familiarity with SOFC power generator system, including components, integration, and packaging
- Experience with SOFC power systems troubleshooting
- Strong understanding with developing design of experiments (DOE) for SOFC system and components testing and optimization
Candidate Background and Experiences Below a Plus
- Background in fuel cell materials and chemistry
- Prior experience with electrochemical measurement techniques and characterization methods
- Hands-on experience with process simulation software, such as ASPEN and CHEMCAD
- Hands-on experience with computational fluid dynamic (CFD) software
- Experience with electrical systems or electronics assembly and testing
- Experience with sourcing and evaluating balance-of-plant components for fuel cell or other chemical systems.
Due to requirements of existing Government contracts in progress, U.S. citizenship or permanent residency is required.