Combustion Development Engineer
Precision Combustion, Inc. (PCI) is a small growing technology company developing new technology and products for clean energy. We apply scientific fundamentals and creativity to developing advanced catalytic combustion, air cleaning, and specialty applications. We have built a world-leading expertise in catalytic combustion, catalytic reforming, and novel specialty applications of short contact time catalysts. We’re a strong team (currently 33 people with 10 PhDs), with great benefits and skilled people working well together, new products under development, an energized atmosphere, and an excellent opportunity to apply your skills in a technology company positioned at the forefront of the clean energy industry.
We are searching for a skilled, forward-thinking combustion development engineer with analytical and experimental combustion knowledge to add to our combustion technology and burner development efforts. The successful candidate must have a strong fundamental understanding of combustion environments and will support the projects from prototype build through field testing. The ideal candidate will be a practical self-starter with demonstrated experience in burner design, reacting flow systems, or gas turbine combustion products and have hands-on prototype development experience.
Responsibilities and Key Attributes include:
- Provide critical assessment of concepts, models, and approaches to multidisciplinary engineering challenges.
- Be able to think “outside of the box” in addressing program goals. Develop, implement, and support high performing practical designs in a multitude of applications, including combustion, fuel processing, and unique chemical reacting systems.
- Perform combustion, thermodynamic, and fluid flow calculations as required to meet project schedule.
- Coordinate and contribute to design of experiments.
- Supervise combustor design, fabrication and assembly.
- Review, analyze, and interpret test data and results. Develop formal, clear technical reports to provide findings and interpretation/analysis of test results to technical managers and customers.
- Field support testing and repair of apparatus as required.
- Complete engineering tasks to meet deadlines: project schedules, process flow diagrams, support analysis and calculations, and installation and operating instruction manuals.
- Catalyst, Boiler/Steam Generator, and Gas Turbine knowledge
- Strong fundamental understanding of combustion environments
- Good hands-on experimental background
- Familiarity with controls development
- Effective project management and good communication skills
- Proficiency in the use of modelling/analytical packages such as FLUENT, CFX, CHEMKIN/CANTERA, and ASPEN
- Experience in analysis and design of water-cooled walls in combustion environments / heat exchangers / steam generators
- Experience in development and implementation of ignition systems
- Experience in development and implementation of robust modular component design in high pressure, high temperature, and high vibration environments.
- Interest in joining a team doing cool, new stuff!
New PhD, (1-2 years’ experience preferred) or Masters’ degree (5-10 years’ experience required) in combustion engineering.
For Export Compliance, Candidates must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident