Research Engineer – E/M Systems and Controls
Precision Combustion, Inc. (PCI) located in North Haven, CT has an outstanding career opportunity for a talented Research Engineer – E/M Systems and Controls to join our team of R&D professionals. This is a critical role to PCI’s ongoing efforts in developing a range of innovative hardware, system technologies and products for clean energy applications.
PCI is a small growing technology company developing, manufacturing, and marketing advanced catalytic devices and systems for Energy sector applications including fuel reforming, clean and efficient catalytic combustion, air cleaning and specialty applications. At PCI you’ll find a very high quality staff, new products under development, an energized atmosphere, and an excellent opportunity to apply your skills in a technology company.
In addition to a competitive starting salary, PCI offers a comprehensive benefits package which includes major medical/dental coverage, 401k plan with company contribution, short & long term disability coverage and paid personal/sick time.
This is an excellent opportunity to work with a team of highly talented engineers on groundbreaking technology.
In this position you will play a critical role in improving and troubleshooting innovative technology. We are looking for a Research Engineer with strong interest in electrical – mechanical (E/M) systems controls and engineering. You should have a passion for making systems work, creativity in problem solving, and the ability to work on multiple projects encompassing multiple engineering disciplines.
- Testing and evaluation of new control hardware and controls code.
- Testing of high efficiency catalytic reactors and reactor systems for fuel reformers, fuel processors, fuel cell systems, compact burners, IC engine emissions control, chemical reactors, adsorption-based air cleaning, sensors, and other applications.
- Modification of existing control code, troubleshooting, and making recommendations for code improvements.
- In-depth data acquisition and analysis.
- Detailed report writing with associated recommendations for repair/redesign including high level code modification and/or writing of new programs.
- Actively support other chemical and/or electrical system, sub-system, and component development & testing as necessary.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or related discipline.
- 2-5 years related experience is preferred; however, recent college graduates with relevant internship/coop/other experience are encouraged to apply
- Formal code training with a thorough understanding of C++.
- Mechanically inclined: the nature of the technologies involved requires strong mechanical aptitude in order to be successful.
- Ability to manage high volume and complex data in real world applications.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Self-confidence and the ability to work independently.
Desired Experience / Skills
- Hands on experience working on projects that manipulate or control physical objects and/or environmental conditions. Experience with various microcontrollers (ATMEL in particular) and other development environments.
- CAN bus experience.
- MoTec experience or other Engine Management and Data Acquisition Systems.
- Analog and Digital Data acquisition (DAQ) experience and associated signal conditioning / buffering / filtering skills.
- Experience coupling DAQ devices to data acquisition and development environments such as LabView or MATLAB
- Experience and demonstrated projects with low cost and open source environments such as Arduino and Raspberry Pi.
- Participation in high school/college engineering competitions such as: First Robotics, Formula SAE, Formula Baja, Solar Car Challenge, or SAE Aero Design.
- Leadership role in a project or organization.
- Experience in prototyping, PCB fabrication, assembling, testing debugging, PCB assembly (soldering / de-soldering) and bread boarding projects
- Practical knowledge of various electronic components, how they are best used and limits of their capabilities.
- Controls and data acquisition demonstrated in electronic projects for work, classes, or hobbies.
For Export Compliance, Candidates must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident